Why do I need a Common Source DataBase (CSDB) to work with S1000D content?
If you only have a small team of one or maybe two authors, and do not need to produce any more than around a 100 data modules for your project, then it is not essential to utilize an S1000D CSDB. However once you hit 100 or more data modules combined with their images, it will start to get difficult to manage your content.
A CSDB will also offer additional features such as:
- Revision control of content
- History of content and roll-back
- Manage a report on what data modules, images and publications, are referenced in the data module you have open
- Manage and report on where a specific data module is being used/referenced across all content in the CSDB
- Manage and report on where a specific image is being used/referenced across all content in the CSDB
- Global update of contents
- Full text search and replace at a global content level
These are just a few of the features you should expect, and will ensure that by having an intelligent CSDB environment will out way the cost of the software.
The OneStrand Team internally utilize ADG’s R4i CSDB to carefully handle and control the development of content. The R4i CSDB Server is the core ‘engine’ within our suite of S1000D products and includes powerful tools that work together to deliver hard copy PDF manuals and electronic technical content, also referred to as Interactive Electronic Technical Publications (IETP’s).
Tools included with the R4i CSDB Server are:
- R4i Data Module Manager – A tool that allows you to quickly create data modules from your DMRL or Excel Spreadsheet. R4i Data Module Manager also allows you to generate required DML, DMRL and CSL reports.
- R4i Fault Code Manager – Is used to record fault codes about the equipment or system, which then link to the required content in the R4i Viewer.
- R4i Viewer – a royalty-free S1000D Viewer providing a dynamic interactive multimedia experience, for your Interactive Electronic Technical Publications.
Find out more
For more detailed information on R4i CSDB, Click here to view our R4i CSDB brochure.